Hello Parents and Players,
My name is Brian Puskar and I am excited to be the Head Coach of the Aurora Tigers 2023/24 U11 Select team. Below you will find information related to the upcoming season including the tryout process, schedule, and evaluation criteria.
Select players will play on a House League team as well as the Select Team.
• Tryout #1 is Oct-11 @ 7:00 to 8:30 At Aurora Community Center 2
• Tryout #2 is Oct-13 @ 6:15 to 7:45pm At Aurora Community Center 2
• Tryout #3 is Oct-14 @ 12:15 to 1:45 pm At Aurora Community Center 2
1. You must register your child onsite at the rink at least 45 minutes before tryout. Please note that each tryout is $15 cash at the door, even if you previously purchased a tryout passport.
2. When you arrive, please go to the AMHA sign-in table located in the main lobby outside ACC2. You will be given a tryout jersey for use that day. Please note that THIS JERSEY MUST BE RETURNED AT THE END OF EACH TRYOUT SESSION. It does not go home.
3. Full protective gear is mandatory, including neck and mouth guards. Players without such equipment will not be allowed on the ice.
4. You must attend the first tryout to be invited back to the second and third tryouts. Unless otherwise confirmed by myself
5. To ensure fairness and impartiality, there will be a team of independent evaluators who will be assisting me with player assessment, including representatives from the AMHA.
6. During and after the tryout, please do NOT approach the evaluators, as they are focused on the task at hand.
7. After each tryout, decisions will be communicated to parents and players. I am aware that some players (and/or Parents) may experience stress and anxiety during the tryout process. Please kindly reinforce with your player that they perform at their best when feeling relaxed and confident. It is important for parents to help manage their child’s expectations during this process. A rostered position on this team should never be assumed, it has to be earned. Let’s all try to make this process an enjoyable one.
Several INDEPENDENT and experienced coaches will act as evaluators during the tryout process, as well as the on-ice instructors. Their opinions, together with my own, plus the independent AMHA evaluators will select the U11 Select team. All questions should be directed to me through the U11 Select website email link. Please know that the feedback gathered will be used to help select team.
Many factors will be considered in this decision-making process including the following:
• Skating • Coachability • Hockey IQ
• Puck Handling • Shooting • Attentiveness
• Attitude • Battling • Team Play
Before committing, please take the following into consideration:
The financial commitment for each player is estimated to be around $2,000, although we will be looking for sponsorships/fundraisers to help offset these costs.
A time commitment will be required. We will have 1-2 additional practices a week plus a maximum of 4 exhibition games per month. This is in addition to House League ice times and could involve 2 events on the same day.
We will be looking to enter 2 or 3 tournaments.
Once the team is selected, I will be looking for volunteers to fill the following roles: ─ 2 Assistant Coaches, Goalie Coach, Team Trainer, Team Manager, Treasurer, On-Ice Helpers and Team Photog/Videographer.
All decisions about player positions are at the discretion of the Head Coach, and player positions can change throughout the season.
Our season will begin after tryouts with a Parent Meeting during which important information about the upcoming season will be shared in greater detail. Date and time TBD.
If you have any questions for me, please feel free to email. If you have a concern, please respect the OMHA protocol of waiting 24-hours before raising. Please know that if I receive a concern prior to this 24-hr period that I will not respond until the protocol period has expired.
Thank you, and good luck to everyone!
Brian Puskar Head Coach – U11 Select