Canadian Hockey Association Fair Play Codes
· I will play hockey because I want to not just because others or coaches want me to.
· I will play by the rules of hockey, and in the spirit of the game.
· I will control my temper - fighting and ‘mouthing off’ can spoil the activity for everybody.
· I will respect my opponents.
· I will do my best to be a true team player.
· I will remember that winning isn’t everything - that having fun, improving skills, making friends and doing my best is also important.
· I will acknowledge all good plays/performances - those of my team and of my opponents.
· I will remember that coaches and officials are there to help me. I will accept their decisions and show them respect.
· I will be reasonable when scheduling games and practices, remembering that players have other interests and obligations.
· I will teach my players to play fairly and to respect the rules, officials and opponents.
· I will ensure that all players get equal instruction, support and playing time.
· I will not ridicule or yell at my players for making mistakes or performing poorly. I will remember that players play to have fun and must be encouraged to have confidence in themselves.
· I will make sure that equipment and facilities are safe and match the player’s ages and abilities.
· I will remember that participants need a coach they can respect. I will be generous with praise and set a good example.
· I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my Coaching skills.
· I will work in cooperation with officials for the benefit of the game.
· I will not force my child to participate in hockey.
· I will remember that my child plays for his or her enjoyment, not for mine.
· I will encourage my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
· I will teach my child that doing one’s best is as important as winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of the game.
· I will make my child feel like a winner every time by offering praise for competing fairly and trying hard.
· I will never ridicule or yell at my child for making a mistake or losing a game.
· I will remember that children learn best by example. I will applaud good plays/performances by both my child’s team and their opponents.
· I will never question the official’s judgment or honesty in public.
· I will support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from children’s hockey games.
· I will respect and show appreciation for the volunteer coaches who give their time to coach hockey for my child.
· I will make sure that every player has a reasonable opportunity to perform to the best of his/her ability, within the limits of the rules.
· I will avoid or put an end to any situation that threatens the safety of the players.
· I will maintain a healthy environment and atmosphere for competition.
· I will not permit the intimidation of any player either by word or by action. I will not tolerate unacceptable conduct towards myself other officials, players or spectators.
· I will be consistent and objective in calling all infractions, regardless of my feelings towards the team or individual players.
· I will handle all conflicts firmly but with dignity
· I accept my role as a teacher and role model for fair play, especially with young participants.
· I will be open to discussion and contract with the players before and after the game.
· I will remain open to constructive criticism and show respect and consideration for different points of view.
· I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my officiating skills.
· I will work in cooperation with coaches for the benefit of the game.
· I will remember that participants play hockey for their enjoyment. They are not playing to entertain me.
· I will not have unrealistic expectations. I will remember that players are not professionals and cannot be judged by professional standards.
· I will respect the officials decisions and I will encourage participants to do the same.
· I will never ridicule a player for making a mistake during a game. I will give positive comments that motivate and encourage continued effort.
· I will condemn the use of violence in any form and will express my disapproval in an appropriate manner to coaches and league officials.
· I will show respect for my teams opponents, because without them there would be no game.
· I will not use bad language, nor will I harass players, coaches, officials or other spectators.
· I will do my best to see that all players are given the same chance to participate, regardless of gender, ability ethnic background or race.
· I will absolutely discourage any sport program from becoming primarily an entertainment for the spectators
· I will make sure that all equipment and facilities are safe and match the athlete’s ages and abilities.
· I will make sure that the age and maturing level of the participants are considered in program developments, rule enforcement and scheduling
· I will remember that play is done for its own sake and make sure that winning is kept in proper perspective.
· I will distribute the fair play codes to spectators, coaches, athletes, officials, parents and media.
· I will make sure that coaches and officials are capable of promoting fair play as well as the development of good technical skills and I will encourage them to become certified.